Image Map

Saturday, May 18, 2013

From Night Stand to Play Kitchen

We made this play kitchen last year for Christmas. Our little June has loved it, and countless others who have graced us with their presence. This is super sturdy, just the way we wanted it! It was a fun project for my husband and I to work on while she took naps. We were SO fortunate to find a cabinet that already had a folding door like an oven! We didn't have to turn anything into one, or make something different! It was PERFECT! Here is our road to a perfect play kitchen to last for years and years! Plus, its so much cuter than a plastic one and will last longer too!





The Night Stand - we got this amazing find at a yard sale for $25

We grabbed the metal bowl for the sink and traced around it, we then traced a line just inside the first circle, because there was a lip on the bowl and we wanted the bowl to rest on the wood, not fall through. We cut the hole, then primed the whole thing white.


We then got red spray paint and went to town


We installed the sink, faucet and "sprayer"


(See all the screws- that baby is in there TIGHT!)


We caulked the sink in first and let it dry. My husband didn't think that was enough so we broke 2 drill bits to make a hole in the metal bowl and screwed it into the wood! That is a very strong sink!


We didn't want the sprayer hose dangling in the oven! SO UN-REALISTIC! So we came up with a hidden space. We took a piece of scrap wood we had and made a space between the back of the night stand and the "oven" can you see the hose in the back? We screwed it in on the outside to stay in place. It works AMAZINGLY!

I also painted red "coils" on the bottom of the oven and placed a Dollar Store cooling rack over them! It's all in the details! 


This one took us a while to figure out. We wanted the stove to look like a round stove with coils, but a regular can lid was too small and we were worried about the edges being sharp! So we found 2- #10 cans and took the lids. My genius husband used the can opener upside down to keep a soft ridge. We also sanded them down just in case! We screwed it in 5 places. That stove top is going NO WHERE!



You're all going to laugh, but the handle for the oven is a towel rack! We couldn't find anything else! We changed out the hardware on drawer to match all the silver.


I purposely wanted a drawer for the kitchen. Boy was I lucky to find one! All her food storage is in it! I could actually SHUT the drawer and nothing would fall out. The kitchens with the material over a space for storage are super cute but I wanted a drawer to be able to shove things in and not have them spill out.


What a perfect little kitchen we will all enjoy for years to come!



Linking up here










9 comments:

  1. I love it! I recent bought a piece of furniture from Craigslist for $10 that I am making into a kitchen for my son. I have 3 older children so I have tons of food toys left over from when they had a plastic kitchen. I have been trying to figure out about the faucet but reading your post it just occurred to me. My kitchen faucet leaks and I need a new one. Sounds like its time to replace it and the old one can be used for the play kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea! I'd love if you'd like up to The DIY'ers: http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-diyers-and-some-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely adorable, so much better than the plastic one we have! (it was a gift). You did an amazing job on all the little touches on this- it rivals Pottery Barns!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love all the little details...the oven coils and rack is my favorite part! Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing at Much Ado about Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surprise and congrats! You were Featured on our Brag About It Tuesday party! Love love love this transformation of the cabinet and the cute look on your daughter's face.
    Please stop by and check it out and link up again - post is up at midnight tonight! BeBetsy Link and Hop!
    THANK YOU! ~Sharon and Denise BeBetsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest! I'd love to find something like that and make a play kitchen for my little guy. I really like how the inside of the over looks hot :) Great job! Pinned it.

    Thanks for sharing this with us at the Weekend Wonders party! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a piece that size that is just sitting in the basement and I am wondering how to paint it. I love it! We are starting to get grandchildren now, so maybe this would be a good project for us! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. AND starting Wednesday June 4th I will be hosting a Wordless Wednesday link party. Hope you will join us!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the post! Really such a nice and decent information shared here with awesome stuff…
    I also provide this service.please visit my site. New Kitchens Sydney Generally I don't learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very great article.

    ReplyDelete