Image Map

Friday, December 19, 2014

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Paint much?
We moved into our new home about 3 months ago. I painted my kitchen cabinets 4 days after moving here!  That just goes to show how busy we've been since moving. 
So... 3 months later I'm bringing you one of my favorite painting projects to date!
My awesome Aunt Laura helped me paint my cabinets. She and I went to the paint store in the morning, painted all day, and finished late afternoon! This was done in 1 day! IT WAS AWESOME! I was so worried I would have to wait for the paint to dry, put another coat on, then wax, then distress making it a 4 day project! IT WASN'T! ONLY 1 day! Start to finish!

Annie Sloan- you're my hero!


-Prepare your floors with drop cloths, tarps, old sheets, 
anything to keep from the paint falling on your floors. 

-Tape around the cabinets and appliances. 
It was then I was introduced to FROG TAPE. It is the BEST painters tape I've ever used! A little more expensive but TOTALLY worth it! It kept a PERFECT line! 

-Remove the cabinets.

 -Paint 2 coats of chalk paint.
No sanding required!
The chalk paint drys fast so its a quick 2 coats.
This is where it was SO nice to have 2 people or more helping, someone works on the doors while you work on the cabinets, or vice versa. 

-Clear wax
Rub on the clear wax with the Annie Sloan Brush then pass it off to the person buffing!

-Buff clear wax
(my aunt Laura had an industrial 10 in. buffer that was AWESOME and SO FAST!
She would brush the wax in front of me and I would come behind her with the buffer, it was great! We were a well oiled machine by the time we were done!)

-Rub Brown "distress oil/paint" in the molding of the cabinets. 

-Place cabinets doors back onto your cabinets!

DONE!


For the whole kitchen I used 1 1/2 cans of 
Chateau Grey (the soft sagy green by Annie Sloan)
and 3/4 can of her clear wax. 

Total spending on the project was about $100.00

$100 dollars for a practically new kitchen? THAT'S CHEAP!




THANKS AUNT LAURA FOR EVERYTHING! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MANY MORE PAINTING PROJECTS WE'LL DO TOGETHER TO COME!




Linking up here

No comments:

Post a Comment